Over the years, Latin America has become the most important destination for mining investments. This growth is due to the geological richness that leads to the existence of a great diversity of mineral deposits throughout the continent. One of the most important countries in the mining sector along with this territory, due to its large number of high-quality deposits and mineralogical abundance, is Mexico. This positions it not only as one of the most important countries in the mining sector along with Latin America but all over the world, occupying the 4th position as the largest recipient of foreign direct investments for mining (ITA, 2020).
The minerals present in the Mexican territory, are very diverse and you can find minerals such as silver, gold, copper, zinc, lead, iron, coal, bismuth, molybdenum, manganese, among the most important (Fidecomiso de Fomento Minero, 2018). In fact, Mexico is the global leader in silver production, occupying the first position on the ranking with 6,300 metric tons produced in 2019. Moreover, is in ninth place in the global gold production and is a top global producer of other minerals as well. (Bnamericas, 2020)
Furthermore, according to the Mexican Geological Service (SME, n.d) Mexico has at least 33 world-class deposits, among which we can find :
- Hydrothermal type deposit such as the Fresnillo deposit. The richest silver-bearing vein deposit in the world.
- The Cananea porphyry copper-molybdenum deposit, which is a disseminated type structure with argillitic, sericitic, and propylitic alterations.
- Las Cuevas, an epithermal deposit with replacement, which is considered the biggest fluorite deposit around the world. It has a propylitic and argillitic alterations, represented in tabular bodies and chimneys of large dimensions.
Uncertainty, Mexico has a great potential to lead even more the production sector in the mining industry. In this way, it is inevitable not to take into account that to achieve a great scope in existing and future projects, it is essential to go hand in hand with the latest technological advances. This will not only allow an increase in productivity, but the use of tools such as an adequate simulation software, for example, will guarantee an excellent development of the tasks, optimizing time, and increasing the profitability of the mining business.
- Bnamericas. (2020, February 27). Ranking global de minería: ¿Cómo le fue a Latinoamérica? Retrieved May 11, 2021, from https://www.bnamericas.com/es/reportajes/ranking-global-de-mineria-como-le-fue-a-latinoamerica
- Fideicomiso de Fomento Minero. (2018, October 2). Contexto de México en la Minería. Retrieved May 12, 2021, from https://www.gob.mx/fifomi/articulos/contexto-de-mexico-en-la-mineria?idiom=es
- ITA (International Trade Administration). (2020, August 19). Mexico – Country Commercial Guide. Retrieved May 9, 2020, from https://www.trade.gov/knowledge-product/mexico-m-mining-and-minerals
- SGM (GEOINFOMEX – Servicio Geológico Mexicano). (n.d.). Retrieved May 11, 2021, from https://www.sgm.gob.mx/GeoInfoMexGobMx/